Sunday, September 1, 2013

Altering angle for balance

In this task I had to put the object in front of the mirror so that I could see the reflection. Then, I had to experiment with angles, so that objects position against each other would change.
For this exercise I used my Tamron 90mm macro lens. 

Here are my trials: 

The first picture is obviously not in balance. It looks more like accidental shot.

90mm, f/4, 1/20 sec, ISO 400 

Then, I took one step left, and the result was already much better.

 
90mm, f/3.2, 1/30sec, ISO 500

To improve the composition, I slightly changed the angle. This now seems ok to me. All other settings stayed the same.
 
90mm, f/3.2, 1/30 sec, ISO500

 Because I was using glass table, there was another reflection that added some complexity ti the composition. To play a little bit with this reflection as well, I made also a couple of vertical trials. 
The second trial seems to be better, because of the bottom reflection. Both upper and bottom reflection on the table are seen, which makes the balance of the picture complete.
 
90mm, f/3.2, 1/25sec, ISO400


90mm, f/3.2, 1/30, ISO500

The second part of the exercise implied experimenting with apples on the table in the same manner I did with mirror reflections.

Here is the first shot to start with. One object behind another, picture obviously is not balanced.


90mm, f/3.2, 1/40sec, ISO500

Then, I take one step right, and the step appears to be too far, because apples are now on one line horizontally, which does not make picture balanced.

90mm, f/3.5, 1/40, ISO500

Take half a step back, so that front side apple is in focus and the back side apple is not. This shot seems to be well balanced.  

90mm, f/3.5, 1/40sec, ISO640

And the last trial I made with the same composition, but back side apple in focus instead. The balance is fine, but I like the first trial more.


 90mm, f/3.5, 1/40sec, ISO640 

This was a good exercise for trying balancing objects through only slight movements around.



No comments:

Post a Comment